3/17/2017: Dual Scope Setup:
One of the main reasons for purchasing the heavy-duty ORION HDX110
EQ-G mount is because of it's load capacity. The idea was to mount both
the TPO10RC scope and the SN8 and allow me to used either scope
Well I recently purchased the hardware from ADM to make that
happen. I now have my 10" scope mounted with the SBIG camera and the
Meade Schmidt/Newtonian 8" scope with a ZWO ASI120 camera.
In the image you can see the SN8 on the left and the 10RC on the right.
Under the 10RC is a 50mm Guide scope with a Meade DSI Pro camera used
For the most part the change over went really smooth. The only
thing to remember is that there is an additional step to balancing
the setup. An excellent write up can be found here (
Balancing a Side-by side setup ) .
The steps are:
- Mount all your camera equipment that will
be used for the imaging session
- Balance the two scopes on the DEC axis by
rotating the RA so that DEC axis is horizontal. Set the
counterweights to temporarily balance the RA axis. The final balance
will be done at the last step.
- Rotate the DEC axis so that the scopes are
vertical pointing UP.
- Slide the connecting bare back and forth to
balance the two scopes.
- Now rotate the Dec axis so that the Scopes
- Balance the scopes by sliding scopes back and
forth on their dovetail bar till the balance out.
- Finally tighten the DEC clutch and loosen the RA
clutch and adjust the counterweights to balance the RA axis.
Your setup is now balanced and ready to go.